Friday, January 21, 2011

My Big Fat Gay Wedding


I had the distinct pleasure of shooting my first gay wedding. When these two women committed and said "I DO!" in front of their family and freinds, a palpable ring of love expanded out from their unifying kiss. I could feel it. The world could feel it. It was love and hope and a huge leap of faith.

Later in the day, they had a photograph made with their grandmothers. I couldn't help but wonder how far we have come. Ending slavery, giving women the vote, getting rid of don't ask don't tell- all of it lead to this moment of liberty for these two people to say a simple, "I Do." Their grandmothers were totally tickled and happy for their babies. 50 years ago this act would have been impossible or at least kept very much on the down low.

But on this glorious, cold day the generations came together to affirm love. To affirm that the this commitment is not for sissies and will take all the family's support to survive. I was honored to be a tiny part of this incredible step forward for these two people and our country. Where love counts. Where love is the final arbiter. Where love in all its messy and true manifestations can ring out in circles for the earth to rejoice in.

Not only are they no longer second class citizens, they are pioneers and ground breakers. I applaud and rejoice their union. It makes it easier for the rest of us to be truly free.

No comments:

Post a Comment